San Wai is also known as Kun Lung Wai after the characters “Kun Lung” that are engraved on the lintel of the entrance to the village, which dates back to 1744 and is enclosed by green brick walls. A watchtower was constructed at each of the four corners of the enclosing walls to defend the village, while a pair of chained-ring iron gates were installed at the front entrance. The moat that originally surrounded the walled village has been filled in. The houses inside the village are laid out in an orderly arrangement with a communal altar situated at the end of the main alley. Unfortunately, most of the old houses inside the walled village have been replaced by new buildings.
The tower above the gate and the walls with the watchtowers were declared monuments in 1988 and 1993 and fully restored in 1994 and 1995 respectively.
Kun Lung Gate Tower and Enclosing Walls of Kun Lung Wai, Lung Yeuk Tau, Fanling will be partially closed from 24 May 2013 to 4 November 2013 for repair works. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.