Two historic school buildings declared monuments (with photos)
The Government today (December 2) announced that the Antiquities Authority has declared the School House of St Stephen's College at 22 Tung Tau Wan Road and King's College at 63A Bonham Road as monuments under the Antiquities and Monuments Ordinance. The notice of the declaration has been gazetted today.
Built in 1930, the School House of St Stephen's College is not only the oldest surviving school building still providing a boarding service in Hong Kong but also bears testimony to the Second World War.
Shortly before the Japanese attack on Hong Kong in 1941, the British Military took over the School House and converted it into an emergency military hospital. The Japanese then captured St Stephen's College and committed the "St Stephen's College Massacre". During the Japanese Occupation from 1941 to 1945, the College, together with the nearby Stanley Prison Warder's Quarters, were used as the Stanley Internment Camp, which is the only remaining former internment camp in Hong Kong. The School House of St Stephen's College is historically important in the context of local education and an important reminder of the sufferings endured by prisoners and victims of the Japanese Occupation.
King's College, built during the period between 1923 and 1926, is one of the six surviving pre-war government school buildings in Hong Kong. The college was formerly known as Saiyingpun School, and was established by the Government at Third Street in 1879. The school was renamed King's College when it moved to the new campus on Bonham Road in 1926. During the Japanese Occupation, King's College was used as a military stable for mules and horses of the Japanese army.
The use of red bricks in the school building, which is also decorated with rich Neo-classical style features, makes King's College an interesting and rare example of ornate school architecture in Hong Kong.
As part of the Heritage Fiesta organised by the Development Bureau in December, free guided tours will be provided for the public to enhance their understanding of both monuments and related local history.
Details of the two monuments and the Heritage Fiesta are available on the heritage conservation website of the Development Bureau (www.heritage.gov.hk).
Ends/Friday, December 2, 2011
Issued at HKT 11:07