in Hong Kong - Hong Kong Island
Built in 1914, Kom Tong Hall was named after its first owner, Ho Kom Tong. Ho Kom Tong (1866-1950), alias Ho Kai Tong, otherwise known as Ho Tai Sang, was the younger brother of Sir Robert Ho Tung. Ho Kom Tong was a prominent businessman as well as a well-known community leader and philanthropist at the centre of the Chinese and Eurasian commercial community at the beginning of the 20th century and one of the most influential figures of his time.
Kom Tong Hall remained the residence of the Ho family until 1960 when a merchant surnamed Chang purchased the building. In the following year, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints purchased the building from the Changs. In 2004, Kom Tong Hall was acquired by the Government and then converted into the Dr Sun Yat-sen Museum. The museum has been open to the public since December 2006.
This building is built in the composite classical style popular in the Edwardian Colonial Period in Hong Kong, featuring red brick walls, granite dressings around windows and doors, and ornate ironwork on balconies. It is one of the first structures in Hong Kong built with a steel frame with concealed built-in electrical wiring.
Internally, the building is richly decorated with classical architectural features in Baroque and Rococo styles. A grand staircase with ornamental balustrading serves the building from basement to the second floor. The ceilings of the main rooms are ornately decorated with moulded plaster panels highlighted in gold leaf. Colourful stained glass windows in Art Nouveau patterns of the period can be found at the main staircase and other notable positions.
10:00 am to 6:00 pm daily;
extended to 7:00 pm on Saturday, Sunday and Public HolidaysClosed at 5:00 pm on Christmas Eve and Lunar New Year’s Eve
Closed on Thursday (except Public Holidays, the anniversaries of Dr Sun's birth (12 November) and death (12 March)) and on the first two days of Lunar New Year
Visitors can use the Mid-Levels Escalator from Central to Caine Road, and walk westwards along the pavement for around 5 minutes.
Central (City Hall) - Kotewall Road
Dr Sun Yat-sen Museum