in Hong Kong - New Territories
Situated on Kau Sai Chau (Island), Sai Kung, Hung
Shing Temple is a typical example of a rural temple.
The temple was constructed as a result of donations
from local residents whose livelihood relied mainly
on fishing. Hung Shing was a protective deity of
the sea. According to local legends and the stone
tablet at the temple, the building was built before
1889. Being a district temple of Kau Sai Chau, it
has long been a place in which to pray for the safety
of fishermen and has the social function of strengthening
the coherence of the community. Large scale celebrations
are held by the locals for the birthday of Hung
Shing every year.
Hung Shing Temple is a two-hall, three-bay structure
with a dong-chung door in the front hall. Altars
are placed in the main hall where Hung Shing, Choi
Pak Shing Kwan and Shui Sin Yeuh are worshipped.
A recent project sponsored by the Hong Kong Jockey
Club, restored the building to its original design
and this was supervised by the Antiquities and Monuments
Office and completed in 2000. With the full support
and active participation of the local villagers,
the restoration project was awarded an "Outstanding
Project" in the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage 2000
Awards. The temple was declared a monument on 15
Hung Shing Temple, Kau Sai Chau, Sai Kung
For visitors going to Kau Sai
Chau, they may take the privately-owned boat at Sai
Kung Pier .
Public transport to Sai Kung Pier: