Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
A A A
search site map contact us


Declared Monuments in Hong Kong


Declared Monuments Hong Kong Island Kowloon New Territories Outlying Islands
 

 
Declared Monuments in Hong Kong - New Territories
Kang Yung Study Hall (Sheung Wo Hang, Sha Tau Kok)
Kang Yung Study Hall is one of the few examples of study halls built purely for teaching purposes. Situated in the Hakka village of Sheung Wo Hang in Sha Tau Kok, it was built by the Li clan in the early Qing Dynasty. It began as a small private school for 20 to 30 pupils and was rebuilt in the Qianlong reign (1736-1795) and renamed Kang Yung Study Hall. As it was constructed purely for teaching purposes, the architecture is simple but functional. It is a two-hall building with cocklofts, providing classrooms and living quarters and comprises a rectangular structure of green brick walls, with unfired mud-bricks and rammed earth for internal partitions. It was declared a monument in 1991 followed by a full restoration undertaken by the government. It is now open to the public.


 

 

Kang Yung Study Hall, Sha Tau Kok
address Sheung Wo Hang, Sha Tau Kok (Plan)
Virtual Heritage Explorer
Opening Hours


9am-1pm & 2pm-5pm daily
Closed on Tuesdays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of the Chinese New Year
Figure : Transport
 
Kowloon Motor Bus
78K Sheung Shui - Sha Tau Kok

 
Green Minibus (GMB)
55K Sheung Shui Station - Sha Tau Kok (Shun Lung Street)

 


The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.