Declared Monuments in Hong Kong - Hong Kong Island
King's College, built in 1926, is one of the six surviving pre-war government school buildings in Hong Kong. The other five pre-war government school buildings are Former Kowloon British School (built between 1900 and 1902), Former Peak School (built in 1915), Former Quarry Bay School (built in 1926), Cheung Chau Government Secondary School (built in 1928) and King George V School (built in 1936).
King's College was formerly known as Saiyingpun School established by the Government on Third Street in 1879 and later moved to Pokfulam Road in 1891. The construction of the present Bonham campus commenced in 1923 and was completed in 1926. Saiyingpun School moved to the new campus in the same year and was renamed as King's College. The Hongkong Administrative Report of 1926 described King's College as "one of the finest and most modern of school buildings".
During the Japanese Occupation (1941-1945), the school was used as a military mule and horse stable for the Japanese Army. The school building was badly damaged during the war time. After refurbishment, the school was re-opened in 1950.
The red-brick school building in Neo-classical style is a rare piece of school architecture of its kind in Hong Kong. When the school building was built in 1926, it comprised an east wing, a south wing and a north wing with a bell tower (now removed) above the colonnaded curved entrance porch at the junction of Bonham Road and Western Street. The notable Neo-classical style features such as arched colonnades, colonnaded verandahs, rusticated quoins, moulded cornices and classical stone surrounds make it an interesting piece of built heritage.