in Hong Kong - New Territories
Located at the north eastern tip of Tung Lung Chau, Tung Lung Fort was built in the reign of Kangxi (1662-1722) to guard against pirates according to the Xinan Gazetteer. Another historical document describes it as being built by order of Yang Lin, Viceroy of Guangdong and Guangxi from 1719 to 1724.
Measured 33.5m by 22.5m, the rectangular fort was enclosed by wall of 3m high with its main entrance at north wall. It consisted of fifteen guardhouses and was armed with eight cannons. A small detachment was stationed at the fort until the beginning of the 19th century, when it proved difficult to cope with a marked increase in piracy. Because of the difficulty in keeping this remote fort supplied, it was replaced by Kowloon Fort in 1810.
Repairs and partial restoration were then carried out to the fort between 1979 and 1982. While the restoration work was in progress, a systematic archaeological excavation of the interior of the fort was conducted by the Antiquities and Monuments Office with the assistance of volunteers. A large quantity of artefacts was unearthed.
Tung Lung Fort, Tung Lung Chau, Sai Kung
Tung Lung Chau, Sai Kung (Plan)Virtual Heritage Explorer