History of Island East Exhibition
20 February 2009 ¡V 8 July 2009
Presented by the Leisure & Cultural Services Department
Organized by the Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defence
Located at the eastern end of the northern shore of Hong Kong Island, the Eastern District covers North Point, Tsat Tsz Mui, Quarry Bay, Sai Wan Ho, Shau Kei Wan and Chai Wan. Among them, the name of Shau Kei Wan appears as early as in Yue Da Zi which was composed in the late 16th century. However, when compared with the Central, Sheung Wan, Sai Ying Pun and Wan Chai districts, the development of the Eastern District was relatively much slower. It was not until the establishment of the sugar refinery by Butterfield & Swire Company in 1883, and the construction of the Taikoo Dockyard in the early 20th century, and also the improvement of transportation since the inauguration of tram service in 1904 that helped boost the population of the district, and more factories were built there. The shore of Tsat Tsz Mui was once a place for swimming and leisure entertainment.
After occupying Hong Kong Island in 1841, the British army stationed at Sai Wan Hill. In the mid-1880s and onwards, the Lei Yue Mun, Sai Wan and Pak Sha Wan batteries were built, which reflected the importance of the area in military strategy. During the Battle for Hong Kong 1941, the Japanese army landed on Hong Kong Island between the areas of North Point and A Kung Ngam.
After World War II, with the rapid development of Hong Kong, the Eastern District has become a modernised community with a population of 600,000 people. Clusters of skyscrapers are seen within the district, with an array of heritage and leisure entertainment facilities available. The Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defence has become a landmark of the Eastern District. Being the community museum, the Museum stages this exhibition to give an account of the history and development of the Eastern District.